Ex-Loeb Director Accepts New Post

By Nan Zheng

Alan P. Symonds '69, former acting technical director of the Loeb Theatre, accepted a newly created position yesterday as technical director for all house and Yard theatrical productions.

The one-year temporary post was created in response to a growing need for technical assistance in house theaters, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said yesterday.

"A variety of people requested that they need help with the technical side of the theater," he said. "Since [Symonds] had the experience, he was a logical candidate."

Symonds said yesterday he hopes to provide technical support for student productions in the houses and improve safety for students involved in theater.

"I see this as being a year in which we get some things done and establish in a more formal way what's needed," Symonds said. "There is a need for more support outside from the structure."

Quincy House Master Michael Shinagel, chair of the standing faculty committee on dramatics, said house masters approved the plan last month.

"Masters supported the initiative unanimously," he said. "I'm pleased to know it has come forward. I have every confidence that the houses will benefit from his oversight."

Shinagel had indicated an interest in creating the new position after Symonds was replaced last spring by J. Michael Griggs, an assistant professor at the University of Maryland.

Jewett said no final decision has been made on the length of Symonds's appointment.

"We'll review the activity to determine the needs of the future," he said. "There is no commitment to go beyond the end of the year."

Symonds said he will continue to serve as co-technical director of the Agassiz Theatre. "The [new] position is created around the assumption that I will still be the technical director of Agassiz," he said.

Myra A. Mayman, director of the Office for the Arts, will oversee the Symonds' new position. Mayman reports to Jewett and a committee of house masters yet to be named.

Symonds declined to disclose his new salary, but said, "having the full support of Dean Jewett, Maya and other important people of the University makes the whole position much more palatable above and beyond financial issues."

Many students objected to last year's decision to replace Symonds and rule him out during the selection of a new Loeb technical director.