Panel Discusses Victims of Abuse

Says Survivors Face Emotional Problems in the Workplace

By Jonathan N. Axelrod

Victims of childhood sexual abuse find themselves emotionally handicapped in the workplace, according to a panel discussion sponsored by Radcliffe Career Services last night.

The discussion, which drew a crowd of 65 to the Cronkhite Graduate Center, was billed as a constructive discussion of problems facing victims of abuse. Panelists said many such victims, whom they refer to as survivors, were in the audience.

The sexually abused often suppress memories of the incidents for years and are unaware of the causes of their depression and problems with interaction in the work place, said Carolyn A. Ryder clinical psychologist at the Medical School.

While experts such as Ryder told the audience of their experiences working with survivors, "Karen," a Radcliffe graduate and a childhood victim of sexual abuse, detailed her own struggle in the business world.

"Every aspect of my workplace experience was affected by the abuse I suffered," she said.

Karen said she was plagued by insomnia, insecurity, and acute self consciousness, which made it difficult for her to deal with male authority figures.

Her lack of confidence kept her from going to graduate school and led her to become a physical therapist, a profession dominated by women, she said.

Other experts spoke about the difficulties college students encounter when they have experienced childhood abuse.

Deborah A. Pilgrim, head of the Harvard's Bureau of Study Council, said she frequently sees survivors suffering from these symptoms.

"Self-mutilation, eating disorders, extreme guilt, and a lack of assertiveness are extremely common in college-age victims," she said.

The panelists said they were hopeful for changes in public policy because of the effect childhood sexual abuse has on business.

"It is in business's best interest to ensure counseling is available to workers because the costs of unrelated sickness and lost productivity are so great," said career counselor Ann H. Dart.

The panelists downplayed recent reports that some "victims" become convinced in the course of therapy that they were abused as children and construct memories with little basis in reality.

"It does happen, but we feel that is a great minority of the people," Dart said.

Ryder added that much of the phenomena may be caused by therapists. "It is very important that we don't draw conclusions for people or put words in their mouth," she said. "If people are looking for something to grasp at the suggestion may be enough to generate memories."