Harvard Square Musicians Play Unusual Instruments

By Noemi Flores

It's not unusual to hear the sounds of music spilling out of Harvard Square, from South Americans playing near the Coop to the sounds of percussion-like instruments emanating from the backside of Out of Town News.

But there's a new sound in Harvard Square--the sound of a major appliance.

New Jersey native Reggie Noble, 19, beats on an assortment of refrigerator parts. Yes, refrigerator parts.

More specifically, Noble plays on two plastic buckets, three steel boxes (read: salad crispers) with a steel grating under them (read: shelves), and uses all types of sticks--broomsticks, mop-sticks, or, as Noble says, "whatever works in order to create new and interesting sounds."

Why not simply use a drum set?

"You can get more sounds using refrigerator parts than using a plain, old drum set," said Lamont Washington, 21, Noble's brother and self-proclaimed roadie. "You mix up parts and get all types of beats that you don't get on a drum set."

Washington went on to say that he, Noble and their brother Lamaine Washington have been playing since they were kids, when they used to play on pots and pass from home. Now, they scour alleys for new instruments.

The sometimes fickle Harvard Square crowd has so far reacted positively to the appliance-as-instrument mavens.

"They [street musicians] are an important part of Harvard Square, they're a stark contrast to Harvard life and this place would be dead without them," said Aundrea L. Oliver '97.

Passerby Pat Clark also echoed that sentiment.

"They're pretty good and they're doing something positive, they're not stealing or anything," she said, hurrying off to catch a subway train into Boston.

Noble, Washington and their dancer Eric Green have only recently begun performing in the Square, hoping to be "discovered." They said they would also like to make some money because none of the three hold day jobs.

The three said they make "so-so" money from performing, but certainly more than from a minimum wage job. The trio was unable to provide specific figures for their daily takes.

Noble said he will continue to play in the Square throughout the Thanksgiving weekend.