'Rudy' a Treat for Young Restic

Former Notre Dame Star Enjoying Notoriety of Name Cameo

By Elizabeth M. Angell

Movie audiences across the country are warming to "Rudy," the true story of Dan "Rudy" Ruettiger, who overcame seemingly insurmountable odds to play for the Notre Dame football team as a walk-on.

But as a result of the filmmakers' efforts at authenticity, Joe Restic, Jr--son of the longtime Harvard football coach and a 1979 Notre Dame graduate--found himself unexpectedly entwined in the story: Restic's name appears twice on a roster prominently featured in two key scenes.

The result, Restic said from his home in Oregon, is a notoriety he has not achieved since his playing days wearing the Blue and Gold.

"Most of the names [in the movie] were not authentic, but that roster was authentic," Restic said. "A lot of people were calling because they saw [my name] and no one knew what it was in reference to."

Restic was an outstanding defensive back and punter in college and went on to play three years in the United States Football League. In 1983, he was named first-team punter and third-team defensive back on the All-Time Notre Dame team.

In 1976, Restic's freshman year, Ruettiger was a senior trying to make the team as a walk-on. In the movie, Ruettiger twice walks up to a bulletin board with the names of players who will dress for the weekend's game.

As Ruettiger scans the roster, the camera stops where his name would appear on the alphabetical list--right after "Restic, J."

"Seeing my name was a thrill, kinda nice," Restic said. "[I] talked to Dan Ruettiger...he has been touring the country, and he told me yeah, that was me."

Role Somewhat Exaggerated

Restic said that the role Ruettiger played on the team was somewhat exaggerated, saying that "Hollywood put their mark on the movie, of course."

Asked if he remembered Ruettiger during his playing days, Restic said "at the time, no. But I reach back into memory and sure, there were only a small number of walk-ons and even fewer who got to play."

Although Harvard Coach Joe Restic has reportedly not yet seen the movie, several Harvard football players screened the film last week.

"We see the coach's son at many of the games," senior fullback Nick Isaacson said. "Little Joe Jr. offering Papa Joe advice."

"It was really inspiring," senior quarterback Mike Giardi said. "After the movie, we just felt like going out and practicing."