Ad Angers Brandeis Students

By Christopher Ortega

A rally held at Brandeis University yesterday on Holocaust revisionism turned into a shouting match, as several students expressed anger at the student newspaper for running an advertisement questioning whether the Holocaust actually happened.

The rally was prompted by an ad called "A Revisionist's View of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum" which ran in Tuesday's editions of The Justice, the student newspaper at the Waltham school.

The advertisement, written by Bradley R. Smith, director of the Committee for Open Debate on the Holocaust, claimed that the museum does not prove that anyone was gassed at any camp liberated by Allied armies.

Following the printing of the advertisement, approximately 2,000 copies of the Justice disappeared from distribution points Tuesday.

The rally, organized by the Brandeis Hillel, consisted of seven speakers. The speakers included three Brandeis professors, three Brandeis students and the president of the American Association of Jewish Holocaust Survivors.

After the speakers finished, several students took the microphones and the rally became a shouting match. In an attempt to stop the shouting, the microphones were unplugged.

"Students pontificated about the printing of the advertisement, saying that Bradley Smith has no right to free speech," said Brian S. Morrison, one of the student speakers and a member of the Catholic Student Association at Brandeis. "They even called for the resignation of the ed board."

In addition, the Brandeis Hillel Foundation released an official statement yesterday.

"Holocaust denial is preposterous and repugnant to rational, thinking individuals," the statement said. "It is historically baseless and relies on pro- paganda and lies."

The Hillel response also said it wasinappropriate that the Justice printed theadvertisement and that there was no clearindication that the piece was an advertisement.

The Hillel also condemned the fact that copiesof the Justice were stolen.

Harry R. Weber, a member of the Justice'seditorial board, said, the advertisement was runbecause "the board does not silence fear" andpeople must be exposed to the views that exits.

Editors of the Justice also said they believedit was clear that the piece was an advertisement.

"It was a page specifically earmarked foradvertisement," Weber said.

In an effort to allow people to discuss theissue of Holocaust revisionism and the running ofthe advertisement, the Justice is running aspecial issue Tuesday dedicated to the topic.

The Harvard Crimson, which also received a copyof the ad from Smith, decided not to run it.

"The Crimson has a policy against runningadvertisements that are false or promote hatred,"said Ira E. Stoll, president of The Crimson. "Idon't think we serve the public interest byhelping them spread a hateful message."

Officials at the Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel alsosaid they disapproved of the running of theadvertisement.

"Holocaust revision is a horrible affront andmockery to the millions who perished in World WarII," said Jeremy A. Dauber '95, chair of thecoordinating of council of the Harvard-RadcliffeHillel