Model UN Holds 40th Conference

More Than 2,200 Students Descend on City This Weekend

By Emily Carrier

The United Nations flag is fluttering above University Hall, and high school students from around the world are wandering the Yard, arguing international issues and hoping against hope that the dean of admissions will cross their paths.

More than 2,200 high school students are in Cambridge this weekend for the 40th annual Harvard Model United Nations simulation--a four-day event that represents the culmination of a semester of class research or extracurricular work for delegates and nine months of feverish preparation for 130 Harvard organizers.

"It's a lot of fun, but it's not boring fun," said conference Charge d'Affaires Ricardo J. Suarez '95.

During the conference, students, each representing a country, divide into 21 committees. Each committee addresses one question, such as human rights or the environment, and drafts a working paper. At the end of the weekend, the full conference meets and passes resolutions based on their work, just like the real U.N.

Of course, if real U.N. officers were staying at the Boston Sheraton they probably wouldn't have 1 a.m. curfews.

Many delegates said the simulations were the low point of the conference.

"The purpose is to show the U.N. experience, and I think that's being accomplished, because of the mass confusion and redundancies in what's being said," said Kenneth N. Salim, a junior from Fieldston High School in New York City who is serving on the legal commission.

Instead, delegates cited the gregar- ious atmosphere and their fellow students astheir primary reasons for attending.

"I was interested in the foreign relationsaspect, but also it's a good social thing," saidSeth A. Resnick, also a junior at Fieldston.

And the Model U.N. remains the ultimateresume-padder for future Gov jocks everywhere.

"It does look good on your collegeapplications, I guess," said Resnick. "I guess Imight be taking that into account."

"Subconsciously," added Salim.

For others, the subconscious lies a littlenearer to the surface.

"So this is where I'll be living," said YaronSada ('99, he hopes), a junior from Blind BrookHigh School in Westchester County, New York, as hesurveyed Matthews Hall. "You can tell the dean ofadmissions we love the campus."

Between speeches, socializing, and touring theCoop, many students have found time forsubstantive debate. While some schools offer ModelU.N. as a club, others make it a full class, oftenwith a heavy workload. For students in thoseprograms, the conference, which awards prizes forexcellence at the end of four days, can take on acompetitive edge.

"It's not as much that it's disorganized, butit seems like people are in it for the awards,"said Robyn White, a senior from Great Neck HighSchool in New York

"Subconsciously," added Salim.