Thinclads Take See-Saw Meet

Stellar Performances Lift Crimson to Modest Upset of Eagles

By Jennifer L. Burns

Before each meet, Harvard track and field Coach Frank Haggerty makes an imaginary scorecard to predict his team's performance.

And after Saturday's meet against Boston College, he admitted that the scorecard hadn't looked too good. But despite Haggerty's pessimistic forecast, Harvard dispatched BC soundly at the Indoor Track and Tennis Center.

Both the women's team and the men's team won by comfortable margins: 74-43 and 74-60, respectively.

It was a victory in a type of track meet--two competitors, scoring based on points--that is becoming increasingly rare these days, according to both coaches.

"A dual meet is good to see," Haggerty said. "We don't have enough, because very few schools have enough players to field some in every event. There are very few meets that are scored."

The men's team was in a see-saw match with the Eagles until the seventh event, the 400-meter run, when a win and a second place gave the Crimson a 34-28 point advantage.

This lead was widened by a first and third in the next event, the 500-meter run.

The women's team forged ahead early, propelled by a first and second in the mile run and a complete sweep of the 55-meter hurdles.

Haggerty said Harvard was able to win by "[picking] up points where we did not expect to at all."

He said the player's willingness to perform in events other than their specialty was the primary reason for Harvard's victory.

Haggerty cited sophomore Shayne Mauricette as an example. Mauricette won the 55-meter sprint, the long jump, and placed second in the triple jump.

"He gave us more points than we should have," said Haggerty. He could be league champion this year, so it was certainly a risk for him [to compete]."

The women's team also had its strong performers.