Risky Business

By Ira E. Stoll

For the first time in three years, a pornographic film will not be the most popular movie on the University of Pennsylvania Campus.

The Penn Union Council recently sponsored the screening of last summer's hit Risky Business, and according to a report in The Daily Pennsylvanian, the movie attracted a crowd of 1809. This number exceeded the turnout for Deep Throat earlier this year by about 300.

"No movie in the last three years has surpassed the attendance of a pornography film, but several have come close," said Penn Union Council Chairman Gary Sundel.

Although protests surrounded the screening of Deep Throat, Sundel said he felt that Risky Business drew more people "because of the movie's quality, not because of protests staged by the woman's community."

Sundel admitted that Risky Business's slightly pornographic nature contributed to its success.

"It has many of the same aspects as a pornography film," he explained.

The last movie to outdraw a pornography film at UPenn was Airplane, which attracted 2100 people, according to PUC advisor David Vigderman.

He added that pornography films have only recently become the most popular PUC movies. "The best movies we've had have been Airplane, Clockwork Orange, Annie Hall and Sleeper," he said.