Faculty Council Moves Ahead on Ethnic Studies

By Anna D. Wilde

The Faculty Council advanced one more step toward the formation of an interdisciplinary coordination committee on ethnic studies yesterday, but came no closer to resolving another ongoing issue--financial benefits for retired professors.

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles also distributed packets of information about the restructuring of the Semitic Museum, an issue that has prompted a heated debate between fired staff members and the museum's director.

The Semitic Museum packet included one Harvard Gazette article, two Crimson articles and a Crimson editorial page guest commentary by Lecturer on Social Studies Martin Peretz.

Council members did not discuss the Semitic Museum packet at the meeting yesterday.

"There was no time to discuss it. I don't know anything about what's been going on there," said Professor of Sociology Theda Skocpol. "I think if people had concerns about it it would have been better to raise them in the Faculty Council in private rather than engaging in public mudslinging."

The council recommended that plans to create a standing committee on ethnic studies move ahead. The change will probably be discussed by the full Faculty in February, said Secretary to the Faculty Council John B. Fox Jr. '59.

As a committee, ethnic studies will have the formal authority to invite lecturers, suggest new courses and recommend faculty appointments through other departments, Fox said.

Retirement Issue Undecided

Despite an approaching January 1 deadline when a new law prohibiting mandatory faculty retirement goes into effect, the Faculty Council was told yesterday the University still has no plan to alleviate the effects of the change.

Provost Jerry R. Green, who chairs the University committee charged with reviewing the financial aspects of faculty retirement, spoke to the council on the committee's progress.

Ever since the federal law was passed five years ago, the University has tried to formulate a plan that would encourage professors to retire after the age of 70.

Despite the imminent deadline, council members said they are not worried about the committee's lack ofconclusive recommendations.

"The financial issues are really complicatedbecause they have to do with guessing how peoplewill behave under changing circumstances," Skocpolsaid.

Last year the Faculty approved a series ofnon-financial benefits for retired professors,including office space, limited teachingresponsibilties, and research opportunities