FDO Lengthens Card Key Hours; First-Years Welcome Extra Access

By Ann M. Imes

The Freshman Dean's Office has extended general card key access hours to all first-year dormitories until 10 p.m., three hours later than the previous cutoff.

The change was made "in response to student concerns to visit people and to use buildings," according to Elizabeth S. Nathans, dean of first-year students.

Michael J. Middleton, senior adviser of Thayer Hall and of the Union dorms, said the general access hours were extended because of the "amount of traffic freshman do during the early evening. It will give them a few more hours of access."

But Nathans also said the hours could be restricted back to the 7 p.m. limit if there are security problems.

"If we find it will compromise security we will backtrack," said Nathans. "This still means the Yard is not wide open. Card keys are still necessary for entrance."

Middleton said he did not think the longer hours would pose a security threat. "With the card key system dorms are still very secure. We do encourage people to travel in pairs at night," he said.

Card key readers were first installed in the Yard dorms over the past summer, joining the readers already in place in the Union dorms.

With the move of first-years living in Matthews to Weld during intersession, all first-years are now living under the key card system.

Also, plans were announced this fall to eventually install key card readers in upperclass houses, putting all Harvard undergraduates under the key card system.

The key card readers provide more security than did the conventional locks, which could be opened with master keys, according to the administration. However, some students have complained that the new electronic system has restricted social life in the Yard.

Many first-years interviewed yesterday welcomed the new hours, which will give them additional time to visit and do laundry.

"That's a lot more convenient," said Adriane D. Smith '96, a Straus Hall resident who said she spends most of her time visiting friends in Canaday Hall.

"I use to annoy the guys on the first floor to get in. People are not going to stop visiting at 7 p.m.," Smith said.

For Maureen M. O'Brien '96, a Thayer resident, the added hours mean extra time for laundry in Canaday. "I think it's a good idea," she said. "After seven it is a pain to do laundry."