Panel Begins Review Of SAS Grant Request

By Brian D. Ellison

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III and a panel of professors yesterday began their review of a Harvard Foundation grant to the Society of Arab Students (SAS), but postponed their meeting with SAS and Foundation student leaders until next Tuesday.

Earlier this week SAS leaders publicly complained that their request for grant reconsideration, based on a "possible case of bias," had been given a "three-month runaround" by College administrators.

Epps--along with Cabot Professor of Natural Sciences John E. Dowling '57 and Khan Associate Professor of the History of Science Anne Harrington--met yesterday with Kenneth A. Katz '93, a member of the Foundation's Student Advisory Committee (SAC) who formally presented the grant request to the SAC.

Epps and the two professors were also to have met with SAC Co-Chair Ouzama N. Nicholson '94 and former SAS President Laila F. Sahyoun '94 yesterday. But both said their appointments were postponed to next Tuesday afternoon.

Sahyoun and new SAS President Haneen M. Rabie '95 wrote in a letter to the editors of The Crimson that Katz failed to articulate specific programs which the SAS planned to fund with the grant money.

They wrote that Katz may have had "a conflict of interest." In an interview, Sahyoun said some SAS members had found remarks by Katz in opinion articles in The Crimson "very offensive to Arabs." Katz is an editor of The Crimson.

Sahyoun reaffirmed her earlier positions yesterday, but emphasized that her primary concern was the delay in the administration's review of the case.

Katz refused comment on yesterday's meeting, saying he intended to wait for the completion of Epps' investigation, which Katz said would likely come next week.

Katz has said earlier that the charges against him are "unsubstantiated and false."

Sahyoun and Nicholson arrived at University Hall and were told that there was not enough time for them to be interviewed yesterday. Separate appointments for the two were scheduled for next Tuesday afternoon.

Not Another "Runaround"

Sahyoun said she did not consider yesterday's postponement another example of administrators giving the case the "runaround."

"This time it seemed like a matter of timing, and I'll buy that." Sahyoun said.

Nicholson declined to comment on the grant case, but expressed confidence that the review would be completed by the SAC's spring grant allocation meeting on February 23

Not Another "Runaround"