Volleyball Wipes Out MIT, Brown

WEEKEND ROUNDUP

By John B. Trainer

Sometimes 3-0 just isn't good enough.

The Harvard men volleyball team took on MIT and Brown at home on Sunday, winning twice--3-0 against both teams--but not by enough to please Captain Cody Church.

Harvard dropped MIT 15-7, 15-10, 15-10 and Brown 15-10, 15-11, 15-4. With the wins, the Crimson is 18-2 (2-0 in league play).

"It's disappointment that we didn't play better," Church said. "We should take no prisoners. We failed to really punish them. Our coach talked to us for a half hour after the games and he didn't have a positive world to say."

East Coast volleyball features a wide talent gap between teams like Springfield, Harvard and Princeton and, well, Brown and MIT.

Brown's squad doesn't even enjoy varsity status.

That was a team that should not have scored a cumulative five points in three games," Church said. "MIT was scrappy, but really not that spectacular. We had to win, it was just one step along the way."

"The way" is the road to the NCAA tournament. Harvard plays in the Northern New England Varsity League, a collection of schools that field varsity volleyball teams. The top two teams in the league are invited to the post-season tournament.

The only other undefeated team in the league is Springfield, which Harvard plays February 23 at the Malkin Athletic Center.

"We're keying on that mach." Church said. "No team in our league should touch us."