Discussion Focuses on Use of the N-word in Popular Culture

By Uzma Ahmad

Editor’s Note (February 19, 2021): This story was originally published on February 17, 1993. It was updated to remove offensive language.

A discussion group at Quincy House last night concluded that "n----r" should not be part of society's general parlance.

But several of the 15 students, who gathered for dinner at Quincy House to discuss the use of the word in popular culture, said the term may be acceptable in the Black community as a term of endearment.

The discussion, sponsored by Everyone in Quincy House United Across All Lines (EQUAAL), was held in commemoration of Black History Month.

Organizers said the event dealt with a New York Times article printed last month which reported on the national debate over the increased use of the n-word, particularly in rap music.

The discussion focused on whether its use in pop culture has eroded the term's pejorative meaning.

Participants, representing several different ethnic groups, said the term was unacceptable because of its association with bigotry.

Some students said they felt "n----r" elicited a negative "gut reaction."

During the discussion, students also discussed other pejoratives, such as "J-p," "k--e" and "queer," how these terms were used and what reactions they elicited from listeners.

Michael L. Campbell '93, one of the participants in the discussion, said that talking about such sensitive topics was important "so that issues are dealt with before events erupt."

The Quincy House group formed last fall, holds such events once a month to foster discussion on issues such as gender, class, race and student disabilities.

"The group was formed in response to general racial tensions on campus. It is good to have a forum for some dialogue on such issues," said Angela N. Romans '92, a Master's assistant at Quincy House and a co-founder of the group.