Area Snowfall Increases

35 Inches to Date Dwarfs Last Year's 22 Inch Total

By Steven G. Dickstein

The Boston area has already seen more snow this winter than the past two years taken together, and while some students said they don't mind it at first, snow has at this point in the season become more of a burden than a pleasure.

"Snow is an enjoyable novelty for the first few weeks, but then you can't wait for it to end." said Douglas E. Feldman '94, originally of California. "But I've got an electric blanket."

Locals have had to endure 35.0 inches of the white stuff this year, which dwarfs the total of the two previous years of 22 and 19.1 inches, said metereologist Christopher M. Hedge of the National Weather Service.

"It seems as if we've had more than normal because we've had much less snow in the last two years," Hedge said.

Some students have taken the opportunity to frolic in the snow. Cambridge resident Thomas M. Levenson '80 recalls watching a snowball fight a couple weeks ago, showing that mother nature gives youngsters a chance to have some fun without wreaking too much havoc. "It was gang violence as it used to be and should be," said Levenson.

Katie J. Phillips '94, a native of Vermont, said this snowy winter was more like it is back home. "Snow makes [the winter] go by faster," she said.

Phillips also offered advice on how to deal with the salt that creeps into dorm rooms on the underside of boots. Her one-word recommendation, "Hoover!" referred to the handy vacuum cleaner.

But some Cambridge residents and visitors believe that the winter hassle extends far beyond a trail of salt.

Katha Seidman, a visitor to the snow-covered Yard yesterday, said, "People seem more tired and conversations seem more dull."

Richard J. Medeiros of the Cambridge Department of Public Works said that short bursts of ice, snow, and rain require the crews to go right back out after they finish going over all the streets.

Medeiros said the crews often don't get enough respect from people. Another problem for the crews, Medeiros said, is that people sometimes shovel the snow right back onto the streets.

The winter goes on and so do Harvard students and Cambridge residents, despite the slush and occasional flu.

Good luck, Cantabrigians--the National Weather Service has predicted continued cold and chances of the white stuff for this week