'Man of the Year' Chase Takes Pudding Pot Prize

By Amanda C. Pustilnik

Comedy star Chevy Chase sneezed, danced and punned last night as he accepted the Hasty Pudding Theatrical's Man of the Year award.

Chase fumbled in and out of a purple and yellow silk jersey, and proudly sported the customized green and white sequined brassiere presented to him along with the Pudding Pot by the show's producers.

"Well, the Oscar meant a lot to me, but this means a little more," Chase said. "It's given in a spirit I find a little more appealing."

When asked about his first reaction to being chosen as Man of the Year, Chase said he was puzzled. "I haven't done anything this year," he recalled.

But Karla M. Picardo '93, co-producer of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals, said while Chase may not have "done anything" this year, his lifetime contribution to comedy qualified him to be Man of the Year.

"We at the Pudding have been impressed by your serious and daring roles," Picardo said.

Chase was one of the founding members of "Saturday Night Live," and he starred in National Lampoon's "Vacation" movies. He has also starred in other films like "Fletch" and "Foul Play."

"I have a great feeling of affection for those days," Chase said, referring to his early work. "I'm looking forward to getting back to those days."

As for the future, Chase said he will host his own talk show on the Fox network, starting next August or early September. He said the show, which may run opposite David Letterman and Jay Leno's late-night shows, will be different from the traditional talk show format.

"My show is not going to be an interview show," Chase said. "It's very different...I'm not going to give much away."

Chase did reveal, however, that he plans to perform with the musical guests on the show. Chase, who was featured in the Paul Simon video "You Can Call Me Al," said he has a long-standing interest in music.

Although his new television show will temporarily keep him off the movie screen, Chase said he is starring in a movie coming out soon. The film, titled "Cops & Robbers," will be what Chase called "good family fun."

In addition to the significance of the Pudding Pot and his upcoming projects, Chase reflected on the importance of fatherhood--which he called the most rewarding experience in his life.

Chase said being a father has not only affected his personal life, but also his work.

"[My work] is a little less edgy and cynical and risque. But as [the children] get older I'm going to get back to more of that," he said