SAA Puts On Show

Agassiz Sold-Out

By Francis Chang

The Harvard-Radcliffe South Asian Association last night put on a song-and-dance show, "Ghungroo," before a sold-out crowd at the Agassiz Theatre.

The performances, which ranged from classical to medieval, folk, popular and modern song and dance, were composed of dances, instrumental music and lip-syncs.

The lead-off performance, the "Bhrat Natyam," or invocation dance, featured a single female dancer, Suchitra Natarajan of MIT, in traditional Indian garb. Natarajan synchronized her footsteps to the beat of a drum. The rattle of the ghungroo--bells worn on her ankles--echoed the tempo of the song.

The ghungroo are worn by dancers in traditional South Asian performances. "The name [for the event] was chosen because ghungroo is a familiar name to all parts of South Asia. It does not favor a region," said Patel.

"This is a different program from the past years," said Badsah K. Mukhopadhyay '94, director of Ghungroo. "This year we are organizing the acts from a historical narrative in order to find some continuum...The purpose is to educate about South Asian culture as well as entertain the audience."

And the above-capacity audience of more than 350 seemed to be entertained, applauding loudly after every performance and energetically responding to requests of participation.

"In face of the alarming religious and political turmoil prevailing in South Asia at this moment, I think that 'Ghungroo' serves as an important symbol of the unity among a fifth of the world's population," said audience member Faruk A. Khan '95.

"This is a way to show the Harvard community about ourselves," said Uday N. Kumar '94, co-president of the SAA. "There are many [first-years] involved and this is good for our future. The two shows that we have prove that there is a wide interest at Harvard in South Asian affairs."

"I am very proud of this show," said Mona M. Patel '94, also co-president of the SAA. "The fact that we have a repeat show [tonight] shows interest in South Asia. This is a good opportunity to showcase diversity.