Pudding Honors Goldberg, Chase

By Matthew L. Thornton

Hasty Pudding Theatricals on Monday named Whoopi Goldberg and Chevy Chase as its 1993 Woman and Man of the Year.

Later this month, the two actors will receive the awards, given annually to performers who make a "lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment."

"I'm extremely honored to be receiving this award," Chase said yesterday in a statement through his press agent. "What took them so long? I've done everything I can in the last ten years to receive it, short of good movies. Thank me very much."

Goldberg could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Goldberg established herself as a star actress in movies such as "The Color Purple" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash."

Chase has starred in feature films such as "Fletch" and Three Amigos," since becoming a celebrity on Saturday Night Live.

Goldberg and Chase were selected during the traditional pre-summer meeting of four Pudding officers and two producers. "This year we wanted a comedian theme," said Tanya L. Fenmore '95, the Pudding's publicity manager.

Goldberg has had "incredible star-ring roles," said Fenmore, adding that the committee considered Goldberg's work for the AIDS cause and the homeless when making its choice.

"Whoopi is one of the hottest women in Hollywood right now," said Pudding producer Karla M. Picardo '93.

Picardo said Goldberg is one of the only women in television to have her own show.

"She's definitely a people's choice," said Picardo. Pudding officials said the award was long overdue for Chase.

"Chevy Chase is the American comic icon," said Fenmore. "He has always been a complete part of the American comic imagination."

Goldberg will be honored on February 16 with a parade through Harvard Square, ending with a presentation of the traditional "Pudding Pot" at the Pudding Theater.

Chase will accept his award on February 23 at the premiere performance of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals' 145th annual musical production, "Romancing the Throne.