M. Spikers Win Vassar Invitational

CRIMSON ROUNDUP

By Xayier A. Gutierrez

The Harvard men's volleyball team won the Vassar Invitational Tournament over the weekend, coming back from a 2-0 game deficit to defeat Long Island University-Southampton in the finals, 3-2.

"This was a very big win for us because they beat us pretty badly last year," senior Brian Jones said. "We were really looking forward to playing [LIU] since they're the type of team that we haven't been able to put away in the past."

After defeating Vassar, Sacred Heart, and the City College of New York in regular pool play, the men spikers went on to defeat Roger Williams in the semifinals to set up the championship match with Long Island.

Falling behind two games to none and facing the loss of senior Albert Kim to injury in the third game. Harvard tightened up their play and roared back to win the final three games of the match.

Led by the outstanding play of Co-Captains Vince Marin and Cody Church and the surprising play of tournament MVP freshman Peter Buletza, Harvard avenged the thrashing suffered at the hands of this same Long Island team in last year's Vassar tournament.