They've Got, We've Got

On The John

By John C. Ausiello

This is the matchup that everyone wanted.

None of this Boston College/Northeastern stuff. BC is struggling this year, and the Huskies are rarely up to the task.

That leaves Harvard and BU to make this year's Beanpot exciting. And exciting it should be.

Harvard is coming off its first loss in almost two months. The Crimson wants to reassure the Cambridge faithful that they're contenders, not pretenders.

BU is one of only two teams to beat Harvard this year. They're confident, they're hungry, and they're on a roll.

No team has ever won four straight Beanpots. The Terriers know the history, and the feel it's time to rewrite it.

Let's then take a closer look at the matchups. It's time to play the "they've got, we've got" game.

Donato Brothers: They've got Dan Donato. We've got Ted Donato. Dan's better known for his ability to hit a curveball than his ability to hit the back of the net (see BU media guide). Ted's currently on the Boston Bruins. So you say, what's in a name? Oh, a couple hundred thousand in an NHL contract. Luck of the Donato clan, point to Harvard.

Olympic players: They've got a lot. We've got as many. BU, though, has Jim Craig and Mike Eruzione. Without them we have no Miracle on Ice. The U.S. would not have gone so crazy with confidence and who knows, we might not have been the world power that we are today. Influence on U.S., nod to BU.

Current Coaches: They've got Jack Parker, we've got Ronn Tomassoni. Jack's a legend when it comes to the Beanpot. But he's got one drawback: hair. Tomassoni's balding, Parker isn't. Hair is out, baldness is in. Ever since His Airness became His Hairlessness, it's become the fad. Balding coach, one to Harvard.

Interesting names: They've got Scott Lachance. We've got Tom "Sherlock" Holmes, and Tripp "Dick" Tracy. Scott would love "la chance" to beat Harvard, but it isn't gonna happen. Holmes and Tracy will solve the mystery of BU's powerful squad, and help defeat the enemy. Nod to Harvard.

Food: They've got fast food. We've got food worth fasting for. Located in Boston, the Terriers have easy access to all the good food they want. We're on the Purdue Chicken plan. Six nights of chicken and one night of Italian slop. Variety of nourishment, one for BU.

Election of Governors: They've got school President Dr. John Silber. We've got Bill Weld. Both ran for governor in '90. Last time I checked, our governor was named Weld. Besides, Billy's family has a couple of buildings named for them. Political success goes to Harvard.

Luck of the number three: They've got three Beanpot championships in a row. We've got three U.S. News and World Report championships in a row Tough call. But tell me, which is more fun, a six hour general exam in astrophysics, or a hockey game between two great teams. Point to BU on the excitement clause.

Kings: They've got Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a BU grad school grad. We've got the son of the king of Denmark. MLK was one of the most important men of the 20th century. Mr. Prince isn't (at least not yet). The last important Prince of Denmark was Hamlet. I've read Hamlet. I've seen this Prince. He's no Hamlet. The influence of kings, edge to BU.

There you have it. Harvard jumps out to an early lead, but BU claws back to draw a tie.

The game goes into overtime. After eight extra periods and still no goals, the teams can't go on due to exhaustion.

The tournament officials decide to implement a never-used-before tie breaker system: a Zamboni race.

Each team has their driver clean the ice. Fastest time wins.

Harvard's Mr. Zamboni, 1960 Olympic Team Captain and goldmedal winner Jack Kirrine, takes the final turn on two wheels and squeaks out the victory.

Final: Harvard 5, BU 4.