M. Squash Defeats Princeton

By Sean D. Wissman

Prior to this year's men's squash season, conventional wisdom had its greenbacks on Princeton to wrestle the national championship trophy away from Harvard.

The Tigers were returning a number of players from a solid team last year, and looked, at least on paper, to be more than a match for perennial rivals Harvard and Yale.

Sunday afternoon, though, Harvard took a first step towards re-establishing its national pre-eminence and dashing the hopes of the insurgent preppies from the south: The Crimson blew out the Tigers 6-3 in a dual meet at Princeton, claiming the contests' first five matches.

"It was a huge win, just an outstanding effort," co-captain Neal Tew said. "The whole Princeton team and crowd thought that they were going to beat us, but we dominated them. It was real convincing--I don't know if I ever remember it being that convincing."

In a squash match, each team has nine seeded players. Each player plays a player from the other team in a best-of-five game match, with each game going to the first player to garner 15 points.

Winning matches for the Crimson were top-seeded senior Marty Clark (3-0), second-seeded junior Adrian Ezra (3-0), fourth-seeded senior Josh Horwitz (3-1), as well as Tew (3-2), junior David White (3-1) and freshman Mike Oh (3-1).

Dropping matches were freshmen Tal Ben-Shacher and Ted Bruenner (1-3 and 0-3 respectively), and third-seeded junior Jon Karlen, who was forced by an injury to default.