U.C. to Examine Coop Prices

New Group Plans to Work for Student Consumer Interests

By Sarah E. Scrogin

Members of the Undergraduate Council said Monday they will investigate whether the Harvard Coop hoodwinked students into buying its most expensive thesis paper.

Harvard Watch, a newly formed council committee that protects students' consumer interests, will address student complaints about unfair pricing, according to sponsor and services committee member Alan M. Grumet '93-'94.

Former council Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 said he went to the Coop last Friday intending to purchase the $10 paper his thesis advisor had recommended.

"I was told you could get thesis paper for about $10 a ream, but [Coop employees] pointed me to a big shelf filled with paper that cost $44," Heinicke said.

Heinicke said Coop employees told him the more expensive variety was the only suitable kind of paper for theses.

Harvard policy requires senior theses requires that all theses be submitted on acid-free paper which does not yellow with age.

Heinicke said when he returned to the Coop and asked about the less expensive paper, employees then told him, "Oh yeah, this [cheaper] stuff is approved."

"My friends and I did some quick calculations and if you figure 500 seniors do theses, that's more than $15,000 down the drain," Heinicke said.

Not Labeled

Alexandra Arnold, a Coop spokesperson, said yesterday Coop employees probably did not sell students the cheaper brand because it was not specifically labeled as thesis paper.

"If a student comes in and asks for thesis paper, I will direct them to a box labeled thesis paper," Arnold said.

Grumet said Coop General Manager Alan Powell told him the incident resulted from miscommunication between the store's administration and employees.

"This is just an example of good relations and the council in its proper role," Grument said.