Nakasone Speaks

By Jean L. Tom

Japan and the Clinton administration must work together to ensure peace and economic stability, according to former Prime Minister of Japan Yasuhiro Nakasone.

Speaking to a crowd of about 300 last night at the Kennedy School, Nakasone, who served as prime minister from 1982 to 1987, proposed the formation of a "global partnership" of nations.

"Japan needs to come in to step with the rest of the world and face up to their own need for change," Nakasone said.

He said Japan must take advantage of the power vacuum created by the fall of the Soviet Union and the reunification of Germany and become "a beacon of democracy in Asia."

Nakasone mapped out an altruistic role for Japan, saying the country must change its reputation and use its economic power for the good of humanity.

But Nakasone added that Clinton must make his foreign policy position on Asia clear "as early as possible."

He urged the new administration to maintain the U.S. military presence in East Asia. Clinton must acknowledge "the diversity in the region," he said, by appointing an ambassador or State Department official of Asian affairs.

Emphasizing cooperation, Nakasone proposed a "Common House" where major pacific countries such as the U.S., China and Japan could promote "mutual security and political stability" through dialogue.

Nakasone said the proposed forum would also include all Pacific countries, and could address issues such as free trade, the environment, and human rights.

On the question of allowing Japan to keep a military, Nakasone said his country's government should convene a Constitutional Study Committee to consider repeal of Article 9 of the Japanese post-war constitution.

The article forbids Japan from engaging in any military offensive and has prevented its joining the U.N. Security Council, whose members must contribute armed forces to peacekeeping missions.

Nakasone, who is leaving this week, was at Harvard as a Hefferman visiting fellow