Laxwomen Crush Penn in Philly, 21-6

Winters, Colligan Score Four Goals Each

By Ahmad Atwan

Nothing is more frustrating for college athletes than being kept out of action for an extended period of time.

Over the past two weeks, the Harvard women's lacrosse team learned how awful it feels to be left in the cold (or, rather, out of the cold) for so long, as the Blizzard of '93 forced them to spend the first two weeks of their season indoors and at the unfriendly confines of the Boston University practice field.

But yesterday, Harvard finally got its chance to play a live opponent and Pennsylvania was the unlucky victim. The Crimson took out two weeks worth of frustration and rolled to a 21-6 victory over the Quakers in Philadelphia.

Sophomores Sarah Winters and Megan Colligan led the way with four goals each.

Co-Captain and All-American Liz Berkery also played a key role in the blowout, contributing two goals and two assists.

Big First Half

The Crimson blazed to an early lead and never looked back, breaking out of cold storage to score 13 goals in the first half.

Sophomore goalie Liz Williamson anchored a defensive unit which held Penn to just four first-half goals.

Penn took 25 shots on goals, but most of them sailed high and wide, as Williamson racked up only six saves.

Harvard had difficulty adjusting to playing outdoors after spending so much time inside. Despite the impressive end result, the Harvard women were never fully coordinated and showed signs of nervousness, according to the team's manager.

The Crimson also competed at a disadvantage because Penn had already played two games.

Harvard is currently ranked second in the country behind defending national champion Maryland. The Crimson will face Temple in Philadelphia this afternoon.