Yale Surpasses $25,000 Fee; Tuition Highest in Nation

By Andrew L. Wright

Yale University's tuition, room and board will break the $25,000 mark next year, giving the school the dubious honor of leading Harvard and the nation's other high-priced private institutions of higher learning.

The new figure represents a 5.9 percent rise over last year's bill--Yale's smallest increase in 20 years. Tuition will increase 6.5 percent to $18,630, and room and board will cost $6,480, a 4.5 percent increase.

"The fact that the new term bill contains the smallest percentage increase in two decades is a significant result of our continuing efforts to restrain the growth of costs," Acting President Howard R. Lamar said in a statement.

Tuition and fees at lvy League schools traditionally increase by 6 to 8 percent a year.

Harvard's Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William R. Fitzsimmons '67 could not be reached for comment yesterday.

If the College's current tuition and fees of $23,514 were to rise 6 percent next year, the price of a Harvard education next year would be nearly $25,000.

Yale Financial Aid to Increase

Lamar said Yale expects to award $25.6 million in financial aid next year, an increase of 13 percent over this year's aid budget of $22.5 million.

"We intend to keep moving in that direction," Lamar said, "while at the same time committing the resources necessary to assure that all students who are admitted to Yale receive the aid they need throughout their undergraduate careers here."

More than 44 percent of Yale students receive financial aid from the university.