RUS Week to Begin

Students Organize to 'Take Back the Night'

By Jessica C. Schell

Take Back the Night, Radcliffe Union of Students' annual week of events to raise awareness about violence against women, begins tomorrow.

The week's events include movies, plays and panel discussions, culminating in a march and rally next Wednesday.

"All of the events are educational, emphasizing the legal, personal and psychological perspectives of different forms of rape and domestic violence," said Maura H. Swan '94, RUS co-president.

The week's highlights include a presentation on marital and date rape with Laura X, director of the National Clearinghouse on Marital and Date Rape in Berkeley, California. The forum will be held in Boylston Auditorium on April 19 at 4 p.m.

Angela Brown, author of When Battered Women Kill, and Molly Chaduri of the Middlesex District Attorney's Office, will sit on a panel on domestic violence on April 20. The panel, titled "The Battered Woman and Self Defense," will be held in Boylston Auditorium at 4:30 pm.

The week will end with a march and rally next Wednesday, April 21. Last year's rally drew more than 300 people, according to a statement released by RUS.

"The rally and march are crucial to enable survivors of violence to empower themselves and others by giving a voice to their experiences," said Swan.

The march will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the Quad behind Malkin Athletic Center and continues to the Radcliffe Quad.

Other scheduled events include "Calling it Rape," a student dramatic presentation focused on rape and sexual assault; "Calm Down Mother: a transformation of three women," a play about the empowerment of women; "Sex and Justice," a screening of a film on the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas hearings followed by discussion; Women's Street Theater Project, and a screening of "The Accused."

All events are free and open to the public