Of Laimbeer and Losing

BARTLETT'S NOTEBOOK

"I've been to four-five home openers of the New York Yankees and nothing compares to this. I've been in Boulder 13 years waiting, and God almighty, two home run--the first run ever scored was a home run--nothing could be greater."--Tom Savoth of Boulder, Colo., after the home opener of the Colorado Rockies.

***

"Couldn't ask for more. It was a tremendous rush, one that I will remember for a long time.

"Yeah, there was a lot of nervousness. I had butterflies. All day, I was kind of fidgety. But when I walked out on the field, the fans started cheering. The size, the intensity, I got a kick out of the New York fans, the way they were jumping around."--Jim Abbott after pitching the Yankees home opener.

***

"I will hurt you. I will show you the Bronx."--Bobby Bonilla, in a heated exchange with New York Daily News sports writer Bob Klapisch.

***

"I would hate to think that we're doing anything different because Mr. Steinbrenner is back. But, Mr. Steinbrenner has a way of putting a little extra hop in everybody's step."--New York Yankees manager Buck Showalter.

***

"I didn't come here to learn how the manage. I came here to win. I know I sound confident, and I am. And I want that to rub off on our players."--Kevin Kennedy, Texas Rangers manager, whose team opened the season 6-2 despite having several players on the disabled list.

***

"I heard they score a lot more runs in the American League. But this is ridiculous."--Lou Piniella, Seattle manager, after a 10-9 victory over Toronto in 10 innings.

***

"I'd have to manage 10 more years to match him, when you think about it. I've said it for years and years, he's the best."--Tony LaRussa, Oakland manager, on Sparky Anderson's 2,000th win.

***

"Wins don't impress me. The way Sparky manages impresses me. If he wasn't a great manager, he would have never gotten a shot at 2,000."--Tony Phillips, Tigers infielder.

***

"I learned more about baseball last year [his first in Detroit] than I had playing since I was 8 years old."--Chad Kreuter, Tigers pitcher, on Sparky Anderson's 2,000 win.

***

"I tried my best but I made a few too many mistakes, but I'm going to learn from them. I'm a little disappointed....I really wanted to win for the guys more than myself.

"On the ice I do not feel like a woman. I'm a hockey player. I don't think of myself as the first woman hockey player."--Manon Rheaume, professional hockey's only female goalie, after making her first start. Her team, the Atlanta Knights of the International League, lost 8-6.

***

"The most disappointing thing is that we didn't take the bull by the horns. That fourth-place spot was open for the last three weeks. We were trying to make up lost ground with a less effective team.

"If we didn't think we were a good team, we wouldn't be so disappointed right now. I think the expectations we had, certainly to make the playoffs, [were] legitimate."--Mike Richter, Rangers goaltender, after the Rangers were eliminated from postseason play.

***

"It's like Connie Hawkins said: "The older I get, the better I used to be.""--John McEnroe.

***

"I'm not surprised. I knew what would happen as soon as the incident took place. In the NBA's manual on violence, Page One and Article One is 'When in doubt, fine Laimbeer heavily.'

"I just look at the fines as the price of doing business. It's like paying graft."--Bill Laimbeer.

***

"They used to call me Slow Death in juniors because I scored four overtime goals usually around the 4:50 mark."--Hartford's Mark Janssens, who scored in overtime to beat the New York Islanders 5-4.

***

"We had about 10 highs and 70 lows this season."--Rick Bowness, Ottawa Senators coach.