The Hits Kept On Coming

BEANPOT NOTEBOOK

By Justin R.P. Ingersoll, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Poor Boston University.

In last year's Beanpot, Harvard thrashed the Terriers, 14-2. This time it was an 18-hit, 14-1 bloodbath. Since the baseball Beanpot began in 1990, the Crimson has outscored the punchless Terriers 34-3.

BU pitcher Matt Goldstein began the game by hitting the first two Harvard batters he faced. He first grazed leadoff hitter Juan Zarate. Then he nailed Captain Mike Hill in the back.

Then the Crimson hit him, driving in eight runs--the biggest single inning of the year for Harvard. (Goldstein has won half of BU's games. He is 1-5. The Terriers are 2-17.)

The hit parade continued, however--BU pitchers nailed Hill again in the fifth and plunked sophomore second baseman Bo Bernhard in the eighth.

Berhard is fast becoming Harvard's Don Baylor, leading the team in hit-by-pitches with eight. Zarate and Hill are in second place with four.

****

A Day of Firsts: Sophomore Ben Allen (2-0) made his first start for the Crimson--in Fenway Park, no less--and pitched a complete game, striking out eight.

"It was great," Allen said. "I was just there four days ago, watching a game against the White Sox, so I was looking forward to it. A lot of adrenaline got going."

Sophomore third baseman Bill Madden got his first hit of the season. The Swamscott, Mass. native knocked a runscoring double into the leftfield corner.

"I was just happy to get a chance to contribute," he said. "It was a lot of fun. It was a thrill being there--just getting out on the field, running sprints."

With the game over in the first inning, Harvard Coach Leigh Hogan made certain every player (besides the pitchers) got a chance to play. Sophomore Dom Giamarco, and freshmen Kevin Correa and Scott Parrot played in their first games of the year.

"That was nice," Hill said. "Now we can all say we've played at Fenway."

****

Morgan's Magic: Junior first baseman Dave Morgan from Needham, Mass. continues to shine at friendly Fenway.

In last year's consolation game agaisnt BU he unloaded a titanic shot over the Green Monster and onto the garage on Ted Williams Way (which people are still talking about). Yesterday he stole a base, went 3-6, and drove in three runs.

He also cranked his third homerun in Beanpot action, a solo shot into the screen in left.

Morgan is hitting .372 with 5 homeruns and 19 RBIs in 25 games.