Women's Water Polo Finishes Fifth at Easterns

Defeat Princeton, Penn State and Rival Wesleyan, Four Players Named to All-Tournament Team

By Patty W. Seo

In wrapping up what was supposed to be "a rebuilding type of year," the Harvard women's water polo team made up for a lack of experience and depth the old-fashioned way--with hard work and intensity--and finished as the fifth-best team in the East.

The Crimson earned a 3-2 record at the Eastern Collegiate Championships this weekend in Princeton.

"It was a great tournament for us--we really came together as a team at the end of the season," said Co-Captain Aimee Hendrigan. "It was exactly how I wanted it to end."

Although Harvard lost to second-seeded Bucknell, 11-2, and third-seeded Maryland, 13-2, in its first two contests, the Crimson defeated Princeton, 5-4, and Penn State, 15-3 to stay alive in the tournament.

And at the risk of sounding like a cheesy VH-1 video hit, Harvard really saved the best for last--the team secured a happy ending with a 9-6 upset over fifth-ranked Wesleyan Sunday morning.

"We were basically in control the whole game," Hendrigan said. "[Co-Captain] Laura [Clavadetscher] was shutting down their best offensive player, and junior Suzanne [Foley] had some incredible shots with great placement."

"We were forcing them to shoot from the outside," added junior goal-tender Amber Keasey.

"We were very excited," Clavadetscher said. "Wesleyan beat us in a very close game, 12-10, at Brown earlier this season."

All this with just four subs four a three-day tournament.

"It was really emotional," Keasey said. "It seemed like all the hard work we put into the season finally paid off."

Hedrigan, Folery, Keasey and sophomore Erin Pyka received All-Tournament honors for their efforts.

Perennial polo powerhouse Slippery Rock, which boasts the strongest program in the East and is ranked third in the nation, won the title.

One place away from earning a NCAA bid this season (the top four finishers go to the national tourney), Harvard is already making optimistic predictions for next year.

Waiting For Next Year

Not only will Harvard return 11 out of its 15 players, but Head Coach Maureen Traverse will stay on as coach--a welcome development for a team that has seen three different coaches in the last three years.

"We really owe a lot to our coach--she's been patient and really fun to work with," Clavadetscher said. "And the team has a core group of experienced players now."

Although the squad will be losing Hendrigan, Clavadetscher, Lynn Kelley and Jenny Dorosh to graduation, Traverse already has juniors Keasey, Pyka and Kate Maloney returning.

Traverse also cited freshmen Ana Dujmovic, Liz Dorosh and Laura Lederer as keys to next year's squad.

And considering that only three players on this year's team have been playing polo for more than two years, a youthful team now will be an asset to the future.

"The difference between where we ended this year and where we want to be this year is just a matter of experience," Keasey said.