Young Candidates Begin Jockeying in City Council Race

By Sarah E. Scrogin

Elections for Cambridge City Council are more than five months away, but already there's no shortage of candidates and campaigning.

Council elections have been dominated in recent years by the Cambridge Civic Association (CCA), which endorses pro-rent control, "good government" policies and throws its weight behind certain candidates.

Recent conflicts within the Cambridge City Council have prompted city politicians to form new political alliances, and instability attributed to the Cambridge Civic Association by many independents has prompted several young candidates to enter the race.

Five of the candidates for next year's city council seats are under 30 years old. These candidates, all of whom are running as independents, say they are distressed by the current city government and hope to make changes in the way the council is run next year. And they're already out knocking on doors and holding signs during rush hour.

James MCSweeney, 29, who finished 12th in the 1991 council race, says he believes the tendency of CCA-endorsed candidates to vote in a block causes them to become "pigeon-holed into a particular group philosophy."

MCSweeney said his position as an independent should not be interpreted to mean that he is of a particular political philosophy.

"My focus is more on fiscal responsibility. There's a philosophy that government has to do all things for all people," he said, adding, "Everyone thinks if you throw money at a problem it will go away."

MCSweeney is not alone in his criticism of the CCA. Another young independent, Anthony D. Galluccio, 25, said yesterday he entered the race out of a fear that Cambridge the needs of residents were not being represented.

Galluccio, who said his father Anthony Galluccio '39 devoted his life time to the Democratic party and managed John F. Kennedy's first district campaign, said he is entering the race as an independent out dissatisfaction with the CCA.

"We've always been a family of liberal Democrats," Galluccio explained.

"The CCA had not been in power for so long that when they gained control they were more obsessed with keeping control," Galluccio said.

James F. McGrail, 27, is another young candidate who says his entry into politics was prompted by the current council's tendency to vote as a block.

"If you don't agree with the CCA, I mean, no non-CCA need apply," said McGrail.

"I'm not running on any slate; I'm running with no strings attached," he added.

Galit P.G. Dukach, 24, said she decided to enter the elections because she recently purchased a home in Cambridge and decided this was a good time to become involved in city politics.

"I definitely feel very strongly about rent control. It works against the very people who it is supposed to help," Dukach said.

Dukach said her position as a libertarian should make her attractive to students.

"I very much support choices in any area," she said.

Another young candidate, Jack Defandorf, 28, said he decided to enter the campaign process as a "twenty-something candidate" because he was frustrated by the lack of activities for young people in Cambridge.

"People seem to want to turn what is pretty much a city neighborhood into a suburb," Defandorf said.

Thomas P. Weed, 36, joined the city council race because he said he believes the council has become too divided over many issues.

"The city is pretty polarized over many issues. It ends up being CCA and pro-business," Weed said.

Weed, who said he is an independent but pro-rent control, said while he is critical of the divided council, he has no direct criticism of the CCA.

"I don't like to engage in CCA bashing," Weed explained.

Five of the nine incumbent councillors said yesterday they will be seeking reelection in November. Alice K. Wolf, the top vote getter in the last council election, announced earlier this year that she will not run again.

Sheila T. Russell said yesterday she will run again in November. Russell said she does not believe Harvard students should be allowed to vote in Cambridge.

"I don't think it's such a hot idea for them to vote in Cambridge; they don't have any stake in the issues," Russell said.

Councillor Walter J. Sullivan said he will seek reelection for what would be his 18th term.

"I'd just like to see the city get in order and get it running," Sullivan said.

Sullivan, who has spent 36 years on the Council, said yesterday he hopes to see 20 terms.

"I don't know what the good Lord will allow," joked Sullivan, age 70.

Timothy J. Toomey said he will also run in November. His highest priority for the next year will be fiscal issues, he said.

William H. Walsh said he too will seek reelection, despite a term plagued by accusations of embezzlement.

"You go to the people who elect you and you tell them the truth about [the accusations]," Walsh said, adding, "I'll be there."

Jonathan S. Myers said yesterday he is planning on running for reelection, despite colleagues predictions that he may withdraw from the race.

If all the incumbents but Wolf run again new faces on the nine-member council may be few. And the average age may stay closer to 50 than to 25. Still, there are five long months between now and the election, and the anti CCA mood is likely to get a thorough airing out.