Jewett to Leave Inquiry to Liem

Dean Will Have no Role in Investigation

By Elie G. Kaunfer

Dunster House Master Karel F. Liem will be in charge of deciding whether to investigate complaints that he was influenced by a tutor in the hiring of the tutor's brother, girl-friend and two longtime friends, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said Wednesday.

Although Jewett said he spoke to students and tutors about their concerns, the dean said he would play no role, formal or informal, in investigating allegations against Vincent W. Li '87.

"If there are serious violations and intentional violations, then the master might feel action should be taken," Jewett said. "We will leave it up to the house master to determine this."

Jewett's decision came one day after students presented him with a petition signed by 39 Dunster residents calling for Li's resignation, charging he had "not acted in the best interest of the House."

Jewett said he will show Liem a copy of the petition without the names this week "to make sure he sees it and knows the concerns."

Liem did not return phone calls yesterday. But he said in an earlier interview that Li had done nothing improper, and that no action will be taken against him.

"I can't [fire Li]," Liem said last week. "That wouldn't be fair to the people involved."

At an open meeting two weeks ago, Li said he "did nothing wrong," denying having any influence in the hiring of William W. Li '87, Fiona Murray, Owen Young and Mark Schroeder.

Two students who interviewed William Li said Vincent Li was present at the interview. And Holly K. Tabor '94, who interviewed William Li separately, said Vincent Li asked her how the interview was and urged her to speak to the masters.

Mark O. Schroeder, another of the four resident tutors hired this year, said Wednesday that Vincent Li was also present at his student interview. Schroeder said he has been friendly with Vincent Li since 1986, although he said he does "not know Vince that well."

Murray and Young also denied the allegations two weeks ago. Schroeder, reached yesterday at his home in Tempe, Arizona, denied being close friends with Vincent Li and said Vincent Li had "no influence" over his hiring. William Li refused to comment yesterday.

Tutors contacted Wednesday questioned whether Liem would be an impartial judge of the situation.

"I can't see a situation where Karel would fire Vince because of nepotism," said Austin Lin, a non-resident tutor who resigned two weeks ago. "Whoever is in charge of enforcing University policy should take action."

And one tutor who expressed remorse that the University is not investigating charges against Li said there was fear that Liem would retaliate against tutors who spoke out against him.

"There's still a witch hunt on," one tutor said. "I don't want to speak out because I want don't want any shit."

Liem promised in an open meeting two weeks ago that no tutors would be punished for making charges. Senior Tutor Henriette L. Power said Liem made the promise only after Jewett told Liem there would be no grounds to fire the tutors.

But Jewett said yesterday that Liem never expressed any desire to fire tutors.

"I'd be very surprised if he would take any type of retaliatory action of this kind," he said."

Jewett said he will continue to meet with Liem about how to reform the tutor hiring process for next year. But he said all recommendations would be informal.

"It's not my role to mandate that a house has to have a particular system of hiring tutors," Jewett said. "There is no clear evidence of practices which violate University statutes."

Jewett said he thought Liem wanted to make the tutor hiring process "clear and appropriate" and would publish the procedure. But Jewett said no changes would be made by the end of this school year.

"My own personal view is that it is preferable to have some kind of student involvement in the process," Jewett said.

Jewett would not comment on whether the system at Dunster met that standard