Baseball Goes 3-1 In Final Weekend

Team Sweeps Dartmouth at Home

By Sean D. Wissman

The members of Harvard's men's baseball team came away from their last Ivy League quadruple-game weekend like they have so many times this season--with mixed emotions.

The Crimson (12-8 Ivy, 18-17 overall), an odds-on-bet to trample division doormat Dartmouth (6-12 Ivy, 12-17 overall) in all four games this weekend, came away from the weekend with only three.

Harvard split with the Big Green on Saturday at Dartmouth, 8-6 and 8-7, and then swept the men from the north yesterday at Soldier's Field, 8-6 and 7-3.

Good Overall Weekend

"It was a good weekend overall, but we're all a little disappointed that we didn't win all four," senior captain Mike Hill said. "We really should have swept them--there's not doubt about that."

Junior first baseman Dave Morgan shared Hill's assessment of the weekend.

"You've got to be pleased anytime you win three-of-four in an Ivy League weekend," he said. "But we definitely could've won all four."

In the two games on Saturday, Harvard flexed its batting proficiency in both games, but, like in many opening doubleheaders this season, was a bit lacking in intensity.

"It was just one of those times when you go out and you know that something is just not right," Hill said. "We just didn't seem to have everything together. We were making some dumb mistakes and, in general, were making the games a lot closer than they should have been."

End Strong

After the first two games, though, the Crimson resolved to end the Ivy League season on a strong note--by sweeping the Big Green at Solider's Field.

"We've split so many doubl.headers that it was getting a little boring," Morgan said. "I just think the team got a little sick of not being completely satisfied with an outing--so we decided to do something about it. It was nice to respond for a change."

Harvard did just that on Sunday. In dismantling the Big Green attack in both contests, the Crimson put forward what Hill described as "one of the best outings of the season."

"Everyone wanted to make those last two games ones to remember, and we did just that," Hill said. "I can say that from both a team standpoint and an individual standpoint, I think some things were happening that should've been happening all season."

Morgan seemed a little more reserved about the second day of activities.

"We weren't incredible, but we played pretty well," he said. "Anyway, we played well enough to win both. Better late than never, right?"