Caucus: K-School Faculty Not Diverse

By David P. Bardeen

While efforts to increase gender diversity at the John F. Kennedy School of Government have resulted in "commendable progress," persistent problems remain, according to a report released this week by the Women's Caucus.

In a press release on Tuesday, Caucus Co-chair Suzanne D. Goldstein said the 1992-93 Report on the Status of Women at the Kennedy School shows that "progress has recently slowed to a standstill or even reversed important areas affecting women."

"Our biggest concern is the lack of representation of women at the senior faculty level," said Caucus Co-chair Suzanne D. Goldstein, a second-year student. "While the administration has voiced concern, little change has occurred," she said.

The report focuses on issues ranging from faculty representation to sexual harassment and includes recommendations for the administration to improve faculty diversity, curriculum, student enrollment, financial aid and the school's environment for women.

The school currently lacks resident tenured female faculty and has a low percentage of women in tenure-track positions, according to the report.

Current women faculty and administrators are "significantly overburdened with administrative responsibilities" as a result of their low numbers, the report said.

But Kennedy School spokesperson Steven R. Singer said that while the administration recognizes the need for the recruitment of more women faculty, statistics cited by the Caucus report were accurate.

Singer said recruiting women for tenure-track positions has been a "high priority" with Dean Albert Carnesale and results have been good. "Of the seven people appointed this year for teaching positions, five of the seven were women, one of whom was African American," Singer said.

Still, Caucus Co-chair Sally Tyler said recruitment of women faculty needs to be a broad-based effort.

"I think the school offers a good education," Tyler said, "but it would be much better if it were inclusive of women at all levels, including the faculty, students enrolled and the perspective conveyed through its curriculum."

The Women's Caucus was created several years ago by Kennedy School students seeking to improve the status of women at the School and in the community, Tyler said.