Republican Club Supports Colin Powell

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:

In all the controversy over free speech and "appropriate" protest which has surrounded General Colin Powell's imminent visit to Harvard, it seems that we have lost sight of a basic point. Not only does Powell have the right--having been invited by the administration--to speak at Harvard unmolested, Powell is right on the issue of admitting homosexuals to the military.

Because the maintenance of an effective military is necessary to the peace and security of the republic, because the deliberate introduction of homoerotic entanglements into military units would severely compromise unity, effectiveness and morale, and because military service is a privilege and a responsibility, not a right, the Executive Board of the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club welcomes and supports the selection of General Colin Powell as 1993 Commencement speaker, not only because of the distinction which he has achieved in military and international affairs and his exemplary personal history, but because of his courageous support of the Defense Department's well-considered policy in the face of zealous if misguided political opposition. Brent McGuire   Policy Director   Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club