An Intangible Talent

MALE of the YEAR

By Darren Kilfara

No, he hasn't been in Sports Illustrated this year, as Harvard athletes Jamie Irving and Liz Berkery have.

Couldn't think to give him the Hobey Baker award, the trophy given to the NCAA's most outstanding men's hockey player and last brought to Cambridge by Lane Macdonald in 1989.

And to wit, he's only a junior--perhaps he's not yet worthy of these recognitions in the collegiate hockey world.

But it doesn't take status or awards to make Ted Drury a special athlete. His skills alone would command him a six-figure paycheck in the National Hockey League, but the abundant amounts of leadership, intelligence and modesty he possesses endear himself not only to pro scouts but his friends and teammates away from the ice.

Drury is a guy more willingly defined by his buddies, and his good friend, freshman goalie Tripp Tracy, speaks loudly on his behalf: "In terms of the collegiate athletes I've seen, his skating and offensive abilities are as good or better than anyone out there," Tracy says.

"But the intangibles that he brings out there are what counts most. He brings so much to this team that just can't be measured on the ice," he adds.

Where he will showcase his talents and leadership skills next year is still anyone's guess, including Drury's. Although many think he is ready for the NHL, he has a choice between the Calgary Flames (the club that owns his rights), a possible captaincy on the 1994 United States Olympic hockey team and a return to skate next year in Crimson colors.

The Office of Career Services has no doubt turned its back on Drury's career "dilemma" (were we all in such demand right out of college), but the captain of Harvard's 1992-93 men's hockey team already has a bright resume to reflect upon, including a season on the 1992 Olympic Team.

In his three years in Cambridge, Drury joined the exclusive 100-point scoring club, only the 22nd Crimson player to do so. His 49 goals and 72 assists put him 19th on the all-time Harvard scoring list.

The 1992-93 campaign was especially grati-

fying for Drury, his 22-41-63 scoring output won him the Ecac and Ivy League Player of the year awards (he doesn't get shut out of all recognitions), and he finished tied with Peter Ciavaglia '91 for eighth on the single season scoring list.

Among his highlights were two goal games against Brown, St. Lawrence and Union, and getting the game- winning goal and the Most Valuable Player award in the Beanpot final against Boston University was "something I'll always remember," he says.

Not all wasn't golden for Drury and the Crimson in 1993. "The end of the year was tough," Drury says in reference to a double- overtime, 3-2 loss to Northern Michigan that ended Harvard's season in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

"But as somebody else told me, it's always better to focus on the good things. It's been a great year for me on a tremendulous team, and, I'm really satisfied with the way things turned out.

Drury never fails to find the silver lining of a situation, according to his teammate, "Lots of little negatives can snowball over the course of a season, but Ted would never let that happen," senior Steve Flomenhoft remarks. "He really helped create a friendly, family-type atmosphere in the locker room."

"He is never, ever negative," Tracy says. "His is a constant positive influence to us."

Tracy likens Dury's greatness to that of basketball star Michael Jordan. "[Jordan] is the best ever not only because of his talent but because his leadership and competitiveness make his teammates better. And I think Ted does the same for us."

"He's not a get-in-your-face, Mark Mensier-type of leader, but he doesn't back away from saying things." Flomenhott agrees. "And his work ethic makes us always want to work harder."

Drury, naturally, deflects the credit to his teammates. "It was a really easy team to be a leader on. Everyone had goals for each game and for the season, and I just tried to be myself and help them along".

Greatness (although perhaps not on the level of a Jordan or a Gretzky) always seemed destined to him at Harvard. Flomenhoft remembers a moment way back in his freshman year when he knew that his then- classmate was bound to be something special.

"I don't remember the team we were playing," Flomenhoft recalls, "but I remember him cranking it up with the puck in his own defensive zone and just skating through all five guys on the other team. He made a great final move and shot it cleanly in the net. He always makes everything look so much easier than it is."

But Drury won't let success spoil him. "My parents did a great job with me in making me realize that while it's nice to be talented, in the grand scheme of things, that's not so important. Being a good person and treating people micely is."

As sophomore Steve Martins notes, "what a down- to- earth guy he is. On the ice he's a real competitor, but once we get away he's so laid- back and mellow.

"I didn't have a fantastic first year, but (when he came back) he put me right at home and made me feel a lot more comfortable."

But comfort isn't on Drury's mind as he stands at the crossroads of the career. He has just returned from the World Hockey chamionships in germany (the U.S. finished with a 2-2-2 record; "It went alright," according to Drury), where he played alongside American NHLers that didn't make the playoffs like Tony Amonte of the Rangers and he knows he can compete with the best.

Quo vadis?Nobody knows Drury has set for himself the simplistic longrange goal of "playing as long as I can in the best league in the world." And it looks from here as though he can join other ex- Crimson Ted Donato and Don Sweeney as a ready-for-prime-time player in Calgary's Saddledome.

Tracy sums up the situation: "I'd give almost anything to play another year with Ted Drury, and the guys on the team all really like him.

"But I know it's best for him to go, and I wish him well wherever he plays next year."

'He is never, ever negative. His is a constant positive influence.'

Freshman Tripp TracyCrimsonG. Bart KasowskiJunior TED DRURY (18) the Ivy and ECAC Player of the Year, rockets the puck past a helpless goalie.