Baseball Drafts 3 Seniors

By Andrew L. Wright

Harvard's middle infielder Michael L. Hill '93 said he was "elated" when he found out he was drafted by the Texas Rangers over the weekend.

"It was something I've been striving for ever since I was a kid," said Hill, a left-handed hitter who plays second base. "I'm very thankful."

Hill and two other Harvard students were drafted in the major baseball league's annual draft last weekend in Florida.

David J. Morgan '94 and Jeffrey S. Mitchell '94 were also picked by the Toronto Blue Jays and the Montreal Expos, respectively, according to Harvard Director of Sports Information John P. Veneziano.

Hill, who said he played his toughest baseball in the leagues in his home town of Cincinnati, was named second team All-Ivy this year and first team All-Ivy last year.

Monty L. Clegg, a Texas Rangers spokesperson, said Hill was picked in the 31st round. Hill will report Sunday to one of the Rangers' Class A farm teams, the Fire (Penn) Sailors.

"I think my parents were even more excited than I was," Hill said.

Morgan, who could not be reached for comment, was picked in the 18th round, Veneziano said. Morgan won the Ivy League Most Valuable Player award in 1993, batting .395, he said.