More Than 5,000 to Graduate

By Joe Mathews

Today, 1,571 seniors will enter the community of educated women and men when they graduate from Harvard College.

"That's not considering those who still owe money and won't be picking up their diplomas [today]." Associate Registrar of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Thurston A. Smith said.

Overall, the University's 10 faculties will confer a combined 5,226 degrees in fields from comparative religion to dentistry.

More than 23,000 chairs have been set up in Tercentary Theatre for morning Commencement exercises and afternoon speeches by President Neil L. Rudenstine and Chair of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Colin L. Powell. Those seats are expected to be full. Gates will open at 8:15 a.m.

The National Weather Service says graduates will receive their degrees in a sweltering heat. Today's forecast, as of press time, was for a high of 90 degrees, with a west wind of 10 to 20 miles per hour providing mild relief.

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is scheduled to award 229 Ph.D.'s and 247 masters degrees, according to Lauren Coblenz, a staff assistant in the registrar's office.

The Harvard Business School will give out 816 masters of business administration degrees during an afternoon ceremony on the immaculately manicured lawn in front of Aldrich Hall.

That is one less degree than had been originally planned. Last month, the Business School withheld the degree of Daniel K. Young after he was indicted in New York on insider-trading charges.

Annie Bombard, associate registrar at Harvard Law School, says the school will award 510 juris doctor degrees, 121 masters of laws and three doctorates in juridical science today in Harkness Commons.

The Kennedy School of Government will have 420 new alumni tomorrow. Forty-six students will receive degrees for the two-year masters of public administration program, and 218 will get diplomas from its one-year program in the same subject. Masters degrees in public policy are scheduled to go to 160 students.

The School of Dental Medicine will confer 22 doctorates in dental medicine at the Longwood Medical Area quad. During the same ceremony, the Medical School will award 135 M.D.s and 11 masters in medical science. Some 255 students will receive degrees from the School of Public Health.

At the Divinity School, 151 students will receive degrees in front of Andover Hall. The school will give 97 masters degrees in theological studies, 31 masters of divinity, 13 masters in theology, and 10 doctorates in theology.

The Graduate School of Education will award 631 degrees in a Radcliffe Yard ceremony.

The Graduate School of Design, according to school registrar Sarah E. Flatley, will give out seven doctorates in design, five masters of landscape architecture in urban design, 27 masters of architecture in urban design, 33 masters in design studies, and 32 masters in landscape architecture. The degrees will be awarded in a ceremony in the Gund Hall garden.