Law School Announces New Dean of Students

Richardson Was Acting Head Since '89

By Rajath Shourie

Suzanne L. Richardson will take over as the next dean of students at the Law School. Dean Robert C. Clark announced late last month.

Richardson, who served as acting dean of students since last October and the director of student activities since 1989, was chosen after an eight month search.

An advisory committee to Clark responsible for the search process, chaired by Administrative Dean of the Law School Sandra S. Coleman, began the search by advertising in the national media last November.

National Search

Despite the national publicity and exhaustive interview process, the committee reported its "information, not recommendations" to Clark, who made the final decision to stick with Richardson, Coleman said.

"Suzanne brings excellent experience and knowledge of the Law School to her new role," Clark said in a statement.

"The Law School students are very lucky to have her and she is lucky to have them," said Sarah Wald, the former dean of students who is now special assistant to the provost and vice president for government, community and public affairs.

"Suzanne is somebody who cares deeply about students. She is willing to go not only the extra mile, but the extra hundred miles," Wald said.

Richardson takes over a position that has traditionally been a difficult one, as tensions have run high in recent years between students and the administration over such issues as faculty diversity.

Increased Communication

In an interview last week, Richardson said her main priority was to "increase communication here at the Law School--amongst all parties, amongst all groups."

She says in the last year, which has been generally quiet by Law School standards, the administration has worked toward this goal.

"I think very clearly that students have been involved in many more dialogues and decisions than they have been in the past," Richardson said.

"I think the students have found ways to work toward their goals with the administration," she said.