Crew Team Triumphs At Henley-on-Thames

By The CRIMSON Staff

Harvard triumphed in the Britannia Cup for coxed fours as American crews celebrated Independence Day with victories at the Henley Royal Regatta.

Harvard beat the Goldie Boat Club, the English crew from Cambridge University, by 3.5 lengths. It was the fifth time that coach Harry Parker has led Harvard crews to Henley trophies.

Brown University won the Ladies Plate for eights, maintaining its unbeaten record Sunday by downing opponents from Nottinghamshire County and London Rowing Clubs.

By contrast, Harvard's win was easy.

"They were really ready for that race. I didn't have to say anything to them," Parker told the Associated Press. "It's still sweet to win at Henley."

The race announcer appeared confused by Harvard's victory, according to an account in yesterday's New York Times.

Throughout the race, the announcer repeatedly identified the Harvard crew as Oxford. Race fans cheered and yelled "Harvard" every time he said "Oxford."

Brown had an unprecedented trio of triumphs at the Eastern Sprints, the International Rowing Association Championship, and the National Collegiate Championship. The team continued its streak Sunday.

"It was the perfect end to the perfect season," coach Steve Gladstone told the AP. "But it could hardly have been tougher."

The Grand Challenge Cup, Henley's premier event, was won by Ruderclub Hansa Dortmund for the third time in five years.

The Germans led from start to finish against the British eight from Cambridge University and the University of London, and won by nearly three lengths.

Steve Redgrave, the Briton who is trying to become the most successful oarsman of all time, won twice. Redgrave, winner of gold medals at three successive Olympics and aiming for a fourth in Atlanta, took the coxless pairs with fellow Barcelona gold medalist Matthew Pinsent in the Sil- ver Goblets and Nickalls Cup.

Later, he helped Leander and University of London win the Stewards Cup against a coxless four from Hansa Dortmund.

Another Olympic champion, Thomas Lange of Germany, narrowly beat Vaclav Chalupa, the Olympic silver medalist from the Czech Republic, in the single sculls.

For the first time in its 154-year-old history, women competed in the regatta. In the final of the women's single sculls, Maria Brandin of Sweden beat Olympic silver medalist Annelies Bredael of Belgium.

This stary was compiled with wire dispatches.