Course Catalog Now Computerized

News Briefs

By Marion B. Gammill

They may not come with an eye-catching ozone symbol, but versions of the course catalogs for every Harvard school are available on Harvard's computer network this fall.

The catalog of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) has been available on computer disks for the past few years, but the new on-line format allows constant updating and quick access, according to Provost Jerry R. Green, who helped put the project together.

"There are a lot of changes...made in the course catalog," he said. "Every year, a supplement is issued and the course catalog needs to be updated much more frequently. Certainly by the spring semester it's out of date."

The new catalog, which will list between 3,000 and 4,000 courses, was designed by the Office of Information Technology, the University Library and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The catalog will run through a new system called GOPHER, which can be accessed through student accounts in the Science Center. Instructions are available in the Office of the Registrar.