M. Water Polo Looks to NCAA Tourney

FALL SPORTS ROUNDUP

By John C. Ausiello

There are wins and then there are Wins. The former are fine but common. The latter help turn around floundering programs or push average teams over the top.

Last year, the Harvard men's water polo team scored such victory. For the first time in over two decades, Harvard beat perennial eastern power Brown, and went on to win 16 games.

The Crimson didn't win the Ivy League title, but the victory gave them the confidence needed to solidify the team as a top contender this coming year.

"More than ever before, all of us believe that this could be the year for us to make it all the way to the NCAA's" said senior co-captain Jeff Zimmerman.

Following his 86-goal season last fall, Zimmerman will lead the way on the offensive end. But Zimmerman will not be asked to carry the whole offensive load.

"We have a talented core of players returning and several freshmen have the potential to make big contributions to our success," Zimmerman said.

Helping Zimmerman up front will be senior Phil Grant and junior Joey Busquets, who played for the Puerto Rican Junior National team.

The defense is anchored by senior co-captain Erik Atkisson who provides experience and talent in the back.

His play could become all the more important with the goalie job up for grabs. The Crimson lost All-New England netminder Danny Oakes '94 to graduation.

Fighting for the starting position will be junior Jeb Miller and junior Jason Shanker. Neither of the two have seen a lot of playing time in the net.

Head Coach Andy Freed, however, doesn't seem concerned by the inexperience in net.

"I think the strength of our goalies will be one of the big surprises for us this season," Freed said. "Although both Jeb and Jason saw only limited time under Oakes during their first two seasons, I am quite confident in their abilities to take over netminding duties."

There you have it. Everyone's optimistic. Losing an All-New England goalie doesn't even seem to faze him.

He knows his team has all the right tools and is ready--ready to build on last year's Brown victory and capture some post-season Wins.