Official Position on Conditions at HUPD

The following is the text of a fax received by The Crimson last night from seven University officials, including the Acting Chief of police Lawrence J. Murphy:

In response to the photographs provided to us by the Harvard Crimson, we have reinspected the HUPD area and found, once again, that the Police Department is an environmentally safe work area. No physical or environmental danger exists to the employees of the police station or to anyone conducting business with the Harvard University police.

The photographs reflect a work site under construction. The photographs do not show environmental danger of any kind, nor the potential for any unusual health-related concerns, other than those connected with the normal debris and dust associated with construction and remodeling.

Other than some non-friable asbestos floor tiles, no asbestos remains in the area occupied by the Harvard University Police Department.

No health-related asbestos problem exists in the area occupied by the Harvard University police department.

Three weeks ago, under the supervision of the Environmental Health & Safety office, abatement work was successfully completed by the National Surface Cleaning Company under the direction of the Diversified Environmental Corporation in the areas above the station's ceiling. All work was continually monitored for air quality and fell well within the air quality standards set by both federal and state regulators.

The only asbestos of any kind remaining in the area occupied by the HUPD is in the non-friable floor tiles. These tiles do not pose a health concern under normal living and working conditions. There would be health concerns only if the tiles were purposely ground down. Contact with water would not pose any danger.

HUPD management has not been made aware of any reports of environmental sickness or injuries or time lost from work due to environmentally-related problems at the Police Department.

As always, the University's primary concern remains the health and well-being of all our students, faculty and staff. The situation documented in the Harvard Crimson photographs provided to us, meets those standards and criteria.