Huskies Humble M. Booters

Harvard Scores Four But Falls Short Against Connecticut

By John C. Ausiello

The Harvard men's soccer team got a feel for Big East sports last night. Unfortunately, it was Connecticut who was left with the sweet and satisfying taste of victory, as the Huskies defeated the Crimson 6-4.

Harvard traveled in to Storrs, Conn. yesterday, hoping to duplicate last years' gritty upset of Connecticut.

Turn back the clocks. One year ago today, Locker soccer officially became a phenomenon.

The Huskies came roaring into town, ready to feast on the crimson and white.

Led by Coach Joe Marrone, Connecticut had not had a losing season in fifteen years.

Harvard had a young team with a new coach. Furthermore, it was Coach Stephen Locker's first home game.

No pressure. Just Neil and all the overseers there to make sure their money was well spent.

But things had a way of working out for Locker and his gang last September. With just 36 ticks left on the clock, junior Derek Swaim took a pass from captain Jason Luzak '93 and headed it into the back of the net. Goal for Swaim, victory for Harvard.

That, however, was a year ago, and last night, history most certainly did not repeat itself.

Led by two goals each from Erik Barbieri, Derek Sullivan, and super substitute Tim Bacich, Connecticut had too much fire power for Harvard.

Bacich's two second-half goals sealed the victory for the Huskies. The first came at 67:56 on a 16 yard shot from the left side, and the second off a header from a corner kick. Both goals were assisted by James Danaher.

Bacich's two tallies stretched the Huskies lead from 4-3 to 6-3 and ended any Harvard chance at victory.

The Huskies started the day's scoring early in the contest when Barberi scored his first goal of the game.

Give credit to Harvard though. A quick goal, away from home, against a strong opponent has a way of demoralizing most teams.

But the Crimson forward junior Steve Gaffney responded 14 minutes later.

Freshman Will Kohler brought the ball down the wing and crossed to Gaffney who knotted the score at one with a header past the Connecticut goalie.

Unfortunately for Harvard, just 15 more minutes into the game and Connecticut had a three-goal lead.

The Huskies responded to Gaffney's goal by picking up their play.

At 19:19 Sullivan made a 60-yard run against the Crimson defense and slipped the ball to the near post by Harvard goalie Ned Carlson.

Barbieri followed four minutes later. He received a beautiful through pass from Sullivan that put him behind the defense and beat Carlson from 12 yards out.

The barrage ended at the 29:08 mark with Sullivan's fifteen yard blast. Danaher assisted on the play.

Harvard did respond at 32:25, when Kevin Silva received a pass from Kohler and scored from eight yards out, but went into the intermission down 4-2.

Kohler rounded out the scoring with his first goal of the season, when he tallied from 12 yards out with about six minutes left in the match.