Romans in Drag Are Pudding Show Stars

By Robin J. Stamm

"It's about love and power and eight men dressed as women," said John Berman '95, whose musical-comedy drag version of Antony and Cleopatra has been chosen as the script for the 146th annual Hasty Pudding production.

Berman's "Togas and Top Hats," which he wrote with Chip Rossetti '93 and David Javerbaum '93, was chosen over six other student-written submissions in a difficult and lengthy selection process.

"Everyone is really excited about this script," said Jeremy S. Nye '93, the president of Hasty Pudding Theatricals. "The authors have captured a style distinctly `Pudding.'"

The cast of characters--following the Pudding tradition of puns and word play--features such names as "Pompey Circumstance," "Nero Sighted" and "Marc Anatomy."

Also falling in line with the show's tradition, this year's spectacle will consist of eight male and eight female roles, all played by males.

"People ask if there's a Pudding formula," Nye said. "It is always a musical-comedy, a drag show, and ends with akick-line. But the plot is always different."

He said the attraction of this year's selectionwas the play's Ancient Roman-Egyptian setting,which hadn't been done in decades.

Nye was one of the seven Pudding officials whoselected this production, after spending thesummer advising the aspiring playwrights.

"We're looking for the one that's the 'mostpudding,' a flavor of humor that is very unique,"said Catherine W. Zipf'94, the co-producer.

Zipf said the majority of the scripts do notcome from Puddig members, although this year'swinners have acted in previous productions.

"It's an extra edge if they are familiar withhow the Pudding works," Zipf said, "but[membership] doesn't affect our decision.

Nye said there is a $300,000 budget for theshow that includes the professional director,specialized customes, and the company's 45performances, which include shows in New York Cityand Bermuda.

He said one of the most important criteria inchoosing the annual show is finding a script thatcontinues to amuse the cast and crew.

"You have to think, "Am I going to want to readthat line 45 times?" Nye said