HUCTW Supports Harvard Police Union

By Andrew L. Wright

Top officials of the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers (HUCTW) announced yesterday their unqualified support for the Harvard police union in its current contract deadlock with Harvard.

HUCTW president Donene M. Williams and director Bill Jaeger said yesterday that they and HUCTW were "100 percent supportive" of the police union's efforts to win a larger raise than the three percent which Harvard is reportedly offering.

"We have a lot of sympathy for the police," Jaeger said. "We're 100 percent supportive of the ideas the Harvard University Police Association is putting forward." In addition to the raise, those ideas include educational incentives and longevity benefits.

In addition to its verbal support, HUCTW members have begun distributing pins and stickers that say: "Give The Harvard Police A Fair Contract." Jaeger and Williams also have received copies of a union letter describing the police union's position regarding the standoff.

Jaeger said he saw a close link between the police union's impasse and HUCTW's own standoff with Harvard negotiators last year. He said the police have met with HUCTW officials to discuss strategies for ending the deadlock.

The Harvard police have been working without a contract since July 1992 and have been negotiating with the University since last fall. Union negotiators said talks broke down in June after Harvard repeatedly refused to up its offer of raises and benefits.

Associate Director of Labor Relations Carolyn R. Young '76, who could not be reached for comment yesterday, has said she cannot discuss the details of the negotiations.

"Our difficult negotiation with Harvard turned on economic issues," Jaeger said. "I think the police are in a similar position now--issues of how much can Harvard afford. We're working together to analyze the University's financial picture to know how seriously to take the administration's arguments about the University's financial position," Jaeger said.

"We are pleased to see police taking their concerns to the Harvard community to talk openly. I'm glad to see that," he said.