3 Shoot in Alewife Housing Complex

No Serious Injuries Suffered in Attack; City Resident Charged

By Ethan M. Tucker

Three teenagers were shot early Saturday morning at a party in the Rindge Towers housing development in Cambridge, according to city police.

Darrell Coakley, a 19-year-old Cambridge resident, was charged with assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and trespassing, said Frank Pasquarello, a spokesperson for the Cambridge police.

Cambridge police reported that the victims suffered no serious injuries. Two of the victims are Cambridge residents, and one is from Mattapan.

According to a report in the Boston Sunday Globe, the incident took place at 364 Rindge Ave., the home of Laverne Daniels, whose 16-year-old daughter Tasha was hosting the party. Daniels posted signs prohibiting smoking, drinking, drugs and firearms, and even had her cousin frisk the approximately 50 invitees for weapons.

But the precautions proved to be insufficient. One of the victims said that Coakley began shooting indiscriminately after bumping into another guest, the Globe reported. Seven shots were fired in all.

"I tried to do everything I could," Daniels told The Globe. "When Tasha said she wanted to have a party, I said I don't know, these kids are crazy sometimes. I just thank God nobody was murdered."

Officials at Mt. Auburn Hospital, where one of the victims was taken after the shooting, said that the teenager has already been released. The other two are reportedly still at Beth Israel Hospital. Police are examining the weapon they think Coakley used in the shootings.

Police do not believe that Saturday's events were in any way drugrelated, though incidents involving drugs have occurred previously in the housing development, Pasquarello said.

Coakley is being held on $50,000 bail and will be arraigned at 9 a.m. today.