Jordan Bathrooms Smeared With Feces

By Jeffrey N. Gell

A series of incidents in which human feces were apparently smeared over surfaces in the men's bathroom of the Jordan Co-op have left residents holding their noses.

Last Tuesday night, someone wrote "Hi" in a bathroom sink with letters made of feces.

Co-op resident Cathy K. Faleafine '96 said the mysterious message appeared in the third floor men's bathroom and remained there overnight.

"The bathroom smelled really bad; it started to get bad in the hall too," Faleafine said. "The tutors said they had to wait until the next day to clean it up."

She said a similar incident occurred the night before. "On Monday night there was [feces] smeared all over the toilet seat," Faleafine said. "It was kind of funny, kind of stupid, kind of disgusting."

Faleafine said the author of the mysterious greeting is unknown.

"For a little while, we were a little worried whether it was someone other than a Jordan person," she said. "But it's probably worse to have a psycho living among us."

Resident Mary E. Baker '95 said she believes the "comedian" is a Jordan resident but hopes the culprit will leave. "I assume it's someone who's here because it has happened twice," Baker said. "I wouldn't want him living here."

Unlike Quincy House residents, who were advised by House Master Michael Shinagel to be more considerate after feces were found in a house stairwell in November, Jordan residents received no reprimands from house officials, Faleafine said.

"One of the tutors said this is something that's normal," Faleafine said. "This is something that happens in dorms, and it's probably that people are stressed over finals."

Resident Tutor Deborah Licht could not be reached for comment yesterday.