White Adds Little To Internet Debate

To The Editors:

I was sorely disappointed with Brad Edward White's column, "Porn For All" (editorial, Oct. 5, 1994). Mr. White did not say anything new or insightful about the issues The Crimson originally raised in a previous article ("Internet Pornography on Rise; University Lacking Policy," news story, Sep. 29, 1994).

The idea that the University is promoting student access to pornography is ludicrous. You would not expect the University to terminate or censor United States mail because pornography may be sent through the mail. The University is providing what will eventually be considered a basic service. What any individual does with a basic service is a personal issue and has nothing to do with the service provider.

The implication that the University should create some sort of policy about this situation is a violation of the right to access free information. Should the University become some sort of a Big Brother and censor every type of access to pornography? Why is pornography on the Internet different from pornography in other forms?

I still want to know what right the Office of Information Technology (OIT) had to peruse the contents of a student's computer--the action that spawned this whole debate. I have resolved never to bring my computer to OIT, not because I have anything suspicious on my hard drive, but because I am appalled that they are able to get away with this type of behavior.

Rather than hear about how I may obtain nude pictures of Alyssa Milano, I want to hear more about the details of this incident and whether or not the University condones this sort of behavior by the technicians at OIT. --Sarah T. Stewart '95