College Financial Officer Dies at 31

Wambold, a Caring Administrator, Is Killed in Boat Accident

Michael Scott Wambold, a financial officer for the College, died over the weekend in a boating accident. He was 31.

Wambold managed accounts payable and receivable, prepared a monthly budget for the College and worked with administrative assistants on financial issues, according to Associate Dean of Harvard College Martha G. Gefter.

Before 1989, Wambold worked at the central payroll office in Holyoke Center.

The office was "shaken" yesterday by the news of his death, Gefter said.

"He was a really nice person and we are going to miss him a whole lot," Gefter said.

Contacted at her home in Pt. Myers last night, Wambold's mother, Norma, said, "he was considerate. He cared about people."

Wambold worked with Thomas A. Dingman '67, associate dean of housing, on "personnel matters, appointment forms and salary increase programs," Dingman said.

"He was a wonderful member of the community," Dingman said. "He had a real sense of justice. He was a principled person, and when he thought things were happening that were inappropriate, he would not be afraid to take a stand."

In his spare time, Wambold was "a keen golfer," according to Dingman, and enjoyed playing drums in a band. He was taking classes in finance at Northeastern University, Norma Wambold said.

Wambold was "a big believer in self-improvement," Gefter said.

"He was still taking courses and trying to build an even more promising professional future for himself," Dingman said.

Dingman also said that in an office whose workers are swamped by work as a result of downsizing. Wambold never hesitated to give his time to others.

"He made it easy for people to come to him," Dingman said. "He took the time if he passed you in the hall to inquire about you. If you brought him questions, he never seemed to give you the sense that it was too much or that he wasn't eager to help."

Yesterday afternoon, about 30 people who knew Wambold met in University Hall for an hour. A trauma psychologist spoke to them, said one student who attended.

"We suggested that people might want to come and support one another and share their respect and appreciation for him," Dingman said. "There was a nice outpouring of respect for the wonderful person that he was."

One student who worked in the office with Wambold said he will remember Wambold above all for his "good cheer."

"University Hall can sometimes be a little serious, and he was just very nice to work with," said the student, who requested anonymity.

Wambold and a friend were fishing in a canoe last weekend on a New Hampshire lake. When one of them got up to turn around, the boat capsized and Wambold didn't make it to shore.

Norma Wambold said the probable cause of death was hypothermia.

In addition to his mother, Wambold leaves his father, Carl. A funeral will be held Thursday in Pt. Myers, Fla.

Administrators said yesterday that they would like to hold a memorial service at Harvard, but they do not have definite plans yet