Forum Represents Reality of Job Hunt

To The Editors:

This letter is in response to The Crimson's recent staff editorial on the Career Forum ("Expand the Career Forum," Opinion, Oct. 26, 1994).

At the Career Forum, we host employers who are willing to invest staff time to visit Harvard to recruit students for full-time and summer jobs. This year, 16 different industries were represented.

In addition, there was significant diversity within some industries for example, there were many types of consulting represented--strategic, management, health care, environmental, scientific and technological.

What the Career Forum presents to Harvard students is the reality of the job search, not the reality of the job market.

The reality is that those students who are interested in careers not represented in the Career Forum such as film, government, journalism, public service, publishing, etc. cannot rely on employers coming to campus to recruit them. To secure jobs in these fields, students must take the initiative in making contact with employers.

Future journalists, filmmakers, politicians, public servants and editors should visit the specialized counselors at the Office of Career Services (OCS) who have expertise, resources and contacts in their career areas.

Also, the OCS Newsletter that is published every Friday has announcements of jobs and internships, career panels, workshops and news about the great diversity of career possibilities for Harvard students. --Martha P. Leope   Director   Office of Career Services