Freshmen Impressive in Win

By Bradford E. Miller

You would think they'd be scared.

You would think they'd be nervous.

You would think they'd screw up.

Well, two out of three isn't bad.

The freshmen on the Harvard men's hockey team went into Saturday night's scrimmage with the world upon their shoulders. After all, they were starting out a college career at one of the premier hockey programs in the country, not to mention a school with a halfway decent academic reputation to boot.

After helping Harvard to a 6-2 victory over the University of New Brunswick, they played the scene like it was old hat.

You're probably saying, "Sure, in a reporter's opinion, but what does the coach have to say about it?"

Well, let Coach Ronn Tomassoni put your mind at ease.

"They were outstanding," he said. "For a first game, you really don't know how they'll play, but they all really came through. We were experimenting with personnel throughout the game, and they showed that they will be excellent players."

But of course, the pre-game jitters wreaked some havoc.

"I was a little nervous going in, but after a couple of shifts, I got more and more used to it," freshman forward Henry Higdon said. "I'm really glad to get the first game out of the way...to get a game under our belts."

Classmate Jeremiah McCarthy seemed to be just emerging from a supernatural state of being.

"It was like a dream...just amazing, so much faster than any other hockey," the defenseman remarked. "I mean, I haven't been playing all that well in practice and then to start next to Bryan Lensinger..."

As McCarthy recalled how the importance of growing up nearby contributed to this feeling, he couldn't say anything else but: "It was awesome."

The Yardlings had even more to adjust to as the night went on at the Bright Arena, as midway through the second period the lights went out for about fifteen minutes, suspending play.

But the power failure didn't take anything away from the overall experience for the freshmen.

"It was a rush," forward Doug Sproule said. "It did take me a while to get used to it, though, but I see that we really have a good team."

Perhaps the brightest new star of the evening, however, goes to defenseman Brian Famigletti.

The Canterbury graduate chalked up two assists in his first collegiate action and also saw significant playing time on the Crimson's power-play unit.

"I was real nervous at first...a little tense at times," he said. "As the game went on, [the nerves] eased up a little, and I got more and more confident."

"Everyone accepted us right in as freshmen," Famigletti continued.

With a game like this, would there be any doubt?